7 tips that form the foundation for great skin
You enter a shopping store, browse countless products on the shelves, you look at endless reviews on Amazon… but where to start for healthy skin? This is a paramount issue that simply can give you a headache trying to solve! But I have good news – good skin starts with basic rules and simple habits. These are so important and must be done consistently. Then after that is done, we can include various skin products that we will discuss in another post.
To create a truly effective anti-aging skin care plan, however, it helps to start with healthy skin care habits. The benefits of healthy skin care habits include:
-Prevent (or clear up) a blotchy complexion
-Retain skin’s youthful firmness longer
-Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
-Keep complexion looking brighter and younger
-Avoid leathery skin
-Reduce skin cancer risk
To help you create your own anti-aging skin care plan, you’ll find key healthy skin care habits below based on research compiled by the American Academy of Dermatology. Years of research supports each of these recommendations.
1. Protect your skin from the sun. Sun protection forms the foundation of every anti-aging skin-care plan. The sun’s rays make our skin age more quickly. We have so much evidence that the sun prematurely ages our skin that there is actually a word to describe this effect. This word is “photo-aging.” To help patients protect their skin from the sun and other harmful UV rays, dermatologists offer these tips:
- Seek shade. Be sure to seek shade between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and whenever your shadow looks shorter than you are.
- Cover up in style. Whenever possible, wear a wide-brimmed hat, pants, and long sleeves. Gloves help to minimize common signs of aging on our hands such as age spots. Sunglasses help reduce fine lines around our eyes.
- Slather on the sunscreen every day before going outdoors. To protect your skin, apply sunscreen to all skin that clothing will not cover. You want to use a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection, SPF 30 (or higher), and water resistance.
2. Forget about indoor tanning: The sun, tanning beds, and sun lamps expose you to harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. These rays accelerate skin aging.
3. Apply moisturizer every day: As we age, skin becomes drier. Fine lines and wrinkles appear. Moisturizer traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance. For best results, use a facial moisturizer, body moisturizer, and lip balm.
4. Wash away dirt and grime twice a day: How you wash your face can affect your appearance. For best results, you want to wash with warm water and a mild cleanser rather than soap. You also should avoid scrubbing your skin clean.
5. Stop smoking: Tobacco smoke contains toxins that can lead to smoker’s face. Signs of smoker’s face include dull and dry complexion, loss of skin’s firmness, premature lines and wrinkles, and leathery skin.
6. Eat healthy foods: A healthy diet promotes healthy skin. Make sure you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
7. Get enough sleep: It’s called beauty rest for a reason. Sleep gives your body time to refresh and renew itself.
So back away from that expensive cream, close the Amazon app on your phone, and be sure to start a great skin foundation for your future.
Do you have any special tips? Are you already incorporating these essentials? Let us know below and be sure to sign up to receive this blog directly to your inbox.